Danish Refugee Council
The Danish Refugee Council/Danish Demining Group (DRC/DDG) is one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, working in more than 40 countries to provide adequate assistance with a rights-based approach to refugees, asylum seekers, internally displaced persons, returnees and migrants. DRC is currently looking for a highly qualified Spanish and English-speaking Protection Manager for a 12-month contract (renewable depending on funding and performance) in Colombia. This is an opportunity for an experienced, Spanish-speaking Protection professional to support DRC’s emergency response to the mixed migration flows in Colombia due to the Venezuela crisis.
About the job
DRC/DDG has been present in Colombia since 2011 and in 2019 it began to upscale its operations due to large influx of migrants and refugees from Venezuela. DRC is currently implementing a protection focused humanitarian response financed by ECHO, UNCHR and IOM in four cities in Colombia (Riohacha, Barranquilla, Medellin and Bogotá) and co-leads the national protection working group as well as local protection working groups in Riohacha, Barranquilla, Medellín and Bogotá, under national coordination structure GIFMM (Grupo Interagencial de Flujos Migratios Mixtos). DRC´s protection programming includes protection monitoring, legal aid, community-based protection, case management and GBV prevention and response.
The Protection Manager – Barranquilla (PM-BAQ) will be based in Barranquilla and be responsible for the overall management and supervision of DRC´s protection program in Barranquilla, including direct supervision of 3 team leaders, overall management of at least 17 protection staff, and technical supervision to the GBV Manager. The incumbent will also co-lead the protection working group (Barranquilla) with UNHCR. The PM-BAQ will be directly supervised by the Area Manager and technically by the Country Protection Coordinator based in Bogotá.
- Supervise, coordinate, plan and monitor all protection related project activities in the area of responsibility (protection monitoring, legal aid, community-based protection and case management);
- Supervise and manage 3 team leaders (General Protection, Community-Based Protection, Legal Aid) and technically support 1 GBV Manager;
- Support management and capacity-buildings of Protection Focal Points and Community-Based Protection Focal Points.
- Ensure effective implementation of DRC protection monitoring program including coordination with DRC´s information management unit and drafting of monthly analytical reports;
- Ensure effective implementation of DRC´s legal aid program in Barranquilla and coordinate with legal aid actors in the area of responsibility;
- Ensure effective implementation of DRC´s community-based protection programme;
- Ensure effective implementation of DRC´s case management programme and monthly reporting to the donor;
- Ensure effective coordination with DRC´s cash transfer and livelihoods programs for referrals and ensure protection mainstreaming in cash and livelihoods activities;
- Offer technical advice and support to the GBV programme;
- Co-lead the local “Costa-Caribe” protection working group with UNHCR and lead on advocacy initiatives for the assigned area;
- Liaise and advocate with key humanitarian actors and local State institutions such as the Defensoría del Pueblo, Registraduría, Migración Colombia and local authorities such as the Mayor´s office, among others, in the area of responsibility.
- Liaise permanently with the Area Manager and the Country Protection Coordinator to ensure coherence with DRC´s national protection strategy;
- Provide continuous on the job training and capacity-building for protection staff;
- Provide input for monthly, quarterly and annual donor reports;
- Supervise the overall protection budget, including financial management and expenses control for the project activities,
- Ensure compliance with minimum DRC and donor requirements for finance, HR and supply chain; Support effective coordination between support and programme teams.
- Lead on monitoring and evaluation (MEAL) and donor reporting activities for all protection activities. Ensure progress towards project objectives and indicators.
- Support the Area Manager and Security Coordinator to gather security-related information via Protection Focal Points, and other contacts, in DRC´s community of intervention.
Program development and strategy
- Oversee knowledge sharing across teams, and ensure that monitoring and evaluation results are understood and used to improve programs;
- Lead on Barranquilla Protection sections of donor proposals;
- Contribute to national and local level protection strategies.
Accountability and reporting
- Guided by the DRC Programme Handbook, continuously monitor and develop relevant accountability initiatives within relevant project program as well as strengthening the effort to document the impact of activities;
- Ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements including procurement and financial reporting.
People Management .
- Lead and manage project staff members including coaching, ensuring coordination, recruitment, and capacity development, in line with DRC HR policy and guidelines;
- Provide on the job training as required and adapt trainings/coaching to specific staff needs.
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility;
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources;
Roles reporting to this position Reports to
Protection Project staff Area Manager – Barranquilla and Technical Line Manager: Country Protection Coordinator
Required experience and competencies
(Candidates who do not meet these requirements will not be considered for the position)
- A minimum 6-7 years of experience in humanitarian protection;
- Experience in protection information management, in particular protection monitoring
- Experience and knowledge of mixed-migration and international protection*;*
- Knowledge about the Venezuelan humanitarian crisis;
- At least 5 years' experience of people management in the humanitarian sector;
- An understanding of legal issues related to mixed-migration;
- Experience in producing high-quality technical material (training material, program tools, proposals, strategic documents, etc.);
- Excellent reporting and protection analysis skills;
- Excellent people skills and diplomatic in nature;
- Ability to manage competing priorities and to meet deadlines;
- Effective team-player and problem solver;
- Fluent oral and written Spanish and advanced English is required
- Excellent writing and editing skills in both Spanish and English;
- Experience in in implementing protection activities in Colombia and/or Latin America context.
- Experience in managing legal aid programmes for mixed-migration flows and/or refugees;
- Experience in community-based protection
- Experience in protection/cluster coordination
- Knowledge of GBV programming and AGD mainstreaming;
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes;
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback;
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation;
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly;
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values.
- Master's degree in Human Rights, Political Science, Forced Migration, Refugee Law, or any other relevant field.
A relevant combination of academic qualifications and extensive experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Commencement: No later than 1st May 2021
- Duty station: Barranquilla - Colombia
- Contract length: 12 months renewable depending on funding.
- Position Level: Band F Level 2 - Unaccompanied